World Wrestling Leisure staged its marquee mid-year occasion Saturday as SummerSlam befell at Ford Discipline, dwelling of the NFL’s Detroit Lions. After WrestleMania, SummerSlam is the second-biggest present WWE produces in a calendar 12 months and this 12 months’s card was usually robust from high to backside.
Right here’s the whole lot it’s good to find out about this SummerSlam 2023:
WWE SummerSlam 2023
Date: Saturday, Aug. 5, 2023
Time: 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT (Pre-show begins at 7 p.m. ET)
Website: Ford Discipline in Detroit
SummerSlam 2023 match card
Learn our predictions for the outcomes right here.
• Logan Paul vs. Ricochet
• Ronda Rousey vs. Shayna Baszler
• SummerSlam Battle Royal (Sheamus, LA Knight, Shinsuke Nakamura, Otis, Chad Gable, Tommaso Ciampa, AJ Types, Karrion Kross, The Miz, Santos Escobar, Grayson Waller, Matt Riddle, TBA)
• Intercontinental Championship: Gunther (c) vs. Drew McIntyre
• World Heavyweight Championship: Seth Rollins (c) vs. Finn Bálor
• Ladies’s Championship: Asuka (c) vs. Bianca Belair vs. Charlotte Aptitude
• Brock Lesnar vs. Cody Rhodes
• Undisputed Common Championship: Roman Reigns (c) vs. Jey Uso
WWE SummerSlam outcomes
• Paul vs. Ricochet was seemingly a no brainer to kick off the night time (Paul’s flight plans nothwithstanding). This was a stable match that includes a handful of main spots, though none really eclipsed these two colliding in midair on the Royal Rumble earlier this 12 months. Paul obtained brass knuckles from an unnamed celebration exterior the ring and utilized them to choose up a grimy win. Logan Paul defeated Ricochet by pinfall in 19:11.
• When is the final time you keep in mind Brock Lesnar having a match like that? Whereas a lot of the match adopted the everyday Lesnar system, the near-falls had been genuinely enthralling and Lesnar shared a uncommon on-camera second of respect with Cody Rhodes after the match. A stark distinction from the high-flying motion of Paul-Ricochet, however entertaining nonetheless. Cody Rhodes defeated Brock Lesnar by pinfall in 18:00.
• Pretty customary battle royal spots throughout this one. A number of storylines superior in the course of the match (Uncooked tag staff division, Santos Escobar and Austin Principle, Shinsuke Nakamura and Tommaso Ciampa). This match had the spot of the night time to date when L.A. Knight hit Sheamus with a belly-to-belly superplex within the closing section. WWE obtained this proper, going with arguably the most popular star within the firm. L.A. Knight gained the SummerSlam Battle Royal in 13:01.
• The Ronda Rousey-Shayna Baszler feud culminated in an “MMA guidelines” match. There have been no really memorable spots right here and the match felt as disjointed and rushed because the construct itself. The 2 friends-turned-foes primarily traded submission holds for a number of minutes earlier than a reasonably fast end. Shayna Baszler defeated Ronda Rousey by TKO in 7:30.
• Drew McIntyre seemed nice in his first motion again. These two picked up precisely the place they left off at WrestleMania (sans Sheamus). Gunther labored heel completely and there have been a number of false finishes that the Ford Discipline crowd was actually into. A sequence of brutal chops between the 2, a quick Claymore Kick from McIntyre and a near-fall even garnered the primary “That is superior” chant of the night time. After a methodical construct, the end right here felt a bit sudden. Gunther defeated Drew McIntyre by pinfall in 14:45.
• Seth Rollins and Finn Balor mixed for an exceptional match right here. From the ring entrances to the ultimate bell, the storytelling and motion had been top-notch, combining components previous and current alike. Though it was primarily a construct to see if Damian Priest would money in his Cash within the Financial institution briefcase, the motion and psychology saved followers and viewers captivated till the last word climax. Persevering with to push the internal turmoil of the Judgment Day whereas conserving Rollins as the highest champion on Monday Night time Uncooked is a win-win for WWE followers. Rollins defeated Finn Balor by pinfall in 18:50.
• Asuka, Charlotte Aptitude and Bianca Belair mixed for fairly probably the very best girls’s match in SummerSlam historical past. Frantic motion did not come at the price of wonderful in-ring storytelling and a number of other false finishes made for an exciting penultimate match at SummerSlam. The spot of the match got here as a (storyline) hobbled Belair returned to the ring to hit a 450 splash on Aptitude to arrange the ending sequence. Belair was seemingly an underdog all through however managed to attain the win by pinning the champ Asuka cleanly. Bianca Belair gained the WWE Ladies’s Championship by pinfall in 22:20.
• However wait…there’s extra! As Belair celebrated her unlikely win, Iyo Sky’s music hit and the Cash within the Financial institution winner rushed to the ring with Injury Management stablemate Bayley. The 2 girls took out Aptitude and Asuka earlier than turning their consideration to an injured Belair. Sky would money in her contract, hit a moonsault on Belair and pin her to grow to be the brand new WWE Ladies’s Champion. Iyo Sky gained the WWE Ladies’s Championship by pinfall in 9 seconds.
• The ultimate match to go on, Jey Uso vs. Roman Reigns in Tribal Fight for the WWE Undisputed Common Championship delivered on a number of ranges. Reigns started dominant however fast bursts of offense and tactical use of overseas objects allowed for Uso to realize the higher hand on a number of events. After all, Solo Sikoa ultimately factored in, however as Uso appeared primed to win and ship the Detroit crowd dwelling glad, Jimmy Uso issued the last word betrayal of his twin brother and fed him to Reigns for yet one more win. The Bloodline story takes one other flip. Roman Reigns gained to retain the WWE Undisputed Common Championship in 39:15.
WWE SummerSlam ‘go-home’ SmackDown outcomes
• LA Knight is out first to an enormous pop and gestures to a graphic together with his opponents within the SummerSlam Battle Royal — together with the newly introduced AJ Types, Karrion Kross, The Miz, Santos Escobar and Grayson Waller — calling them “misfit toys” earlier than Sheamus comes out to start their match. In the course of the match every new competitor got here to ringside, ultimately erupting in a brawl. Knight pinned Sheamus in 12:41.
• The OC (Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows) def. The Brawling Brutes (Ridge Holland and Butch) by DQ in 11 minutes after interference from The Avenue Earnings (Angelo Dawkins and Montez Ford).
• Jey Uso interrupted Paul Heyman’s “Tribal Fight” historical past lesson and promo and ultimately attacked Solo Sikoa.
• Austin Principle def. Cameron Grimes in 3:03 after A-City Down. Principle survived a distraction from Santos Escobar early within the match, however took a beating from his Aug. 11 opponent afterward.
• Bayley and Iyo Sky had been visitors on the Grayson Waller Impact earlier than being interrupted by Shotzi’s music and tank within the entrance method, just for Shotzi to look within the ring with electrical hair clippers and chase off Bayley. It was revealed that Zelina Vega drove the tank out and can face Sky within the subsequent section.
• Zelina Vega pinned Iyo Sky after a Code Pink. Sky was distracted by Shotzi throwing Bayley again into the doorway method and brawling, permitting Vega to capitalize.
• Jey Uso pinned Solo Sikoa after hitting the finishers of a number of Anoa’i relations, together with Roman Reigns’ spear. Uso wore out Sikoa with chair after the match and celebrated on high of the announce desk with the group because the present went off the air.
Cody Rhodes seems on ‘Right now’
Cody Rhodes was a visitor on NBC’s morning speak present ‘Right now’ on Thursday through which he plugged his documentary “American Nightmare: Changing into Cody Rhodes” and hyped his match at SummerSlam vs. Brock Lesnar.
“On the planet of sports activities leisure and professional wrestling, the suspension of disbelief you’ve obtained to be the factor that’s actual,” Rhodes mentioned of the event of the documentary. “It’s important to be as weak as doable.”
After acknowledging that this match with Lesnar will settle their 1-1 tie, Rhodes relayed a narrative from the start of the feud.
“I used to be involved the primary time I stood throughout from Brock that he could be a bit bit taller than me … and I do not need to be dwarfed,” Rhodes mentioned “So I began dishonest a bit towards the digital camera and I noticed we could be the identical peak really — the issue is, he is triple my width.
“That is the precise situation — he is only a large, large man.”
Roman Reigns joins ESPN’s ‘First Take’
Roman Reigns and Paul Heyman made an look alongside Stephen A. Smith and Molly Qerim on Tuesday morning. Each Reigns and Heyman pushed the narrative that the Undisputed Common Champion is the best field workplace attract sports activities leisure.
Reigns, a former Georgia Tech defensive lineman, shifted gears from WWE to the NFL and listed his high 5 Tremendous Bowl contenders. Reigns had the 49ers as his high staff on the checklist adopted by the Chiefs, Eagles, Bengals and Payments.
WWE SummerSlam ‘go-home’ Monday Night time Uncooked outcomes
• Logan Paul opened the present by insulting the Houston crowd and vowing to beat Ricochet in “probably the most viral match in WWE historical past.” Ricochet interrupted and the 2 appeared to indicate mutual respect as athletes. As he tried to depart, Paul invoked the real-life relationship between Ricochet and ring announcer Samantha Irvin saying he hoped there could be no onerous emotions “when your lady proclaims that Logan Paul gained.” The 2 brawled briefly earlier than Paul laid out Ricochet with a left hand.
• Gunther minimize a backstage promo dressing down his Imperium henchmen Ludwig Kaiser and Giovanni Vinci for not stopping his match with Drew McIntyre from occurring. Kaiser obtained again within the Ring Basic’s good graces by pinning Matt Riddle in 11:06.
• A montage of clips set to David Kushner’s “Daylight” performed recapping the Cody Rhodes-Brock Lesnar feud and establishing the confrontation later within the night time.
• Maxxine Dupri made her singles debut and pinned Valhalla in 3:45, overcoming interference from the Viking Raiders.
• The Judgment Day was within the ring on the high of the 9 p.m. ET hour. Priest ran down the group’s current group of victims (Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, Seth Rollins, Liv Morgan) and promised extra carnage if Zayn and Rollins present up for his or her tag staff match. Bálor continued to berate Rollins for derailing his profession with the damage suffered at SummerSlam 2016. Rhea Ripley tried to chop a promo on Raquel Rodriguez, however Rodriguez interrupted her, touching off a ringside brawl. Ripley dove at Rodriguez’s (storyline) injured knee earlier than referees and brokers broke it up.
• Half 1 of a package deal of interview and spotlight clips outlining the historical past between Ronda Rousey and Shayna Baszler performed with Baszler persevering with with the narrative that Rousey is an entitled one-sided buddy who saved her down. It was introduced their match Saturday will likely be contested beneath MMA guidelines.
• Shinsuke Nakamura pinned Tommaso Ciampa in 8:50 by grabbing Ciampa’s trunks throughout a roll-up, persevering with their feud. Each seem headed to the SummerSlam battle royal on Saturday.
• Brock Lesnar got here to the ring and mentioned he was merely getting paid to battle Cody Rhodes on Saturday and invited Rhodes to come back out and shake his hand. After Rhodes obliged and Lesnar went to depart, Rhodes tried soar him – as Lesnar has achieved to him 3 times in as many months – however Lesnar obtained the higher of Rhodes and left him laying.
• Gunther pinned Chad Gable in 7:25. Gable survived the unique match stipulation of lasting 5 minutes with out being pinned or submitted however the Intercontinental Champion demanded the match be re-started. Gunther minimize a promo after the match vowing to beat Drew McIntyre on Saturday.
• Half 2 of the Baszler-Rousey interview package deal aired, with each giving their respective sides of the story. “I’m going to take her popularity,” Baszler mentioned of Rousey.
• Becky Lynch known as out Trish Stratus, who tried to duck Lynch’s promised championship match, just for WWE official Adam Pearce to make the match official for proper then and there. Lynch gained the match in simply 5 seconds after Zoey Stark interfered, inflicting Pearce to make the match for the Aug. 14 episode of Uncooked in Winnipeg.
• Half 2 of the Baszler-Rousey interview package deal aired, with each giving their respective sides of the story. “I’m going to take her popularity,” Baszler mentioned of Rousey.
• Seth Rollins and Sami Zayn defeated Damian Priest and Dominik Mysterio in 12:18 when Rollins pinned Priest after a curb stomp. Priest appeared to have the world champion Rollins overwhelmed and went to money in his Cash within the Financial institution contract however Finn Bálor — Rollins’ erstwhile opponent at SummerSlam — was gradual to ship him the case, permitting Rollins to get well and hit a stomp for the win.
Storylines for WWE SummerSlam
Logan Paul vs. Ricochet
These two first crossed paths in January’s Royal Rumble match, staging an unimaginable spot with every spring-boarding midway throughout the ring and clotheslining one another in mid-air.
Then, final month on the Cash within the Financial institution ladder match, they went for an additional excessive spot that didn’t fairly come off as easy as Ricochet tried a Spanish Fly from the highest rope and put Paul by way of two tables. Ever since, the 2 have traded barbs on social media and in an in-ring section establishing the SummerSlam blow-off.
Ronda Rousey vs. Shayna Baszler
Baszler, who obtained Rousey into the skilled wrestling world to start with, turned on her longtime buddy throughout a girls’s tag staff title protection at Cash within the Financial institution, costing them the belts. When Rousey demanded a proof two days in a while Monday Night time Uncooked, Baszler delivered a blistering promo through which she (accurately) identified that Rousey has had championship alternatives handed to her since she set foot within the WWE, whereas Baszler has needed to work for each spot she’s ever had. This feud has felt a bit rushed, probably due to Rousey’s reported “onerous out” date to exit the corporate.
Brock Lesnar vs. Cody Rhodes
Lower than 24 hours after failing to seize the undisputed Common championship from Roman Reigns at WrestleMania, Cody Rhodes was set to staff with Brock Lesnar to face Reigns and Solo Sikoa on Uncooked. Earlier than that match started, Lesnar attacked Rhodes and pummeled him for almost 10 minutes till the present went off the air. Rhodes obtained a slender win the next month at Backlash after which Lesnar (storyline) broke Cody’s left arm throughout an assault on the Might 22 episode of Uncooked. 5 days later Lesnar beat Rhodes by technical submission after working over the arm a lot of the match. Rhodes has since spent weeks making an attempt to get a 3rd match and eventually obtained it on the July 17 episode of Uncooked when Lesnar accepted and proceeded to pummel Cody in entrance of his household at ringside.
Intercontinental Championship: Gunther (c) vs. Drew McIntyre
At WrestleMania, Gunther retained the Intercontinental title in a triple-threat match in opposition to McIntyre and Sheamus in probably the greatest matches of the weekend. Following one other profitable protection over Matt Riddle at Cash within the Financial institution, Gunther was confronted by a returning McIntyre, who hadn’t been seen on TV since that WrestleMania match. Gunther formally accepted McIntyre’s problem on the July 24 episode of Uncooked.
Ladies’s Championship: Asuka (c) vs. Bianca Belair vs. Charlotte Aptitude
Asuka unsuccessfully challenged Belair for the title at WrestleMania however managed to win it at Night time of Champions on Might 27 due to a somewhat artistic software of the blue mist. On the June 9 episode of Smackdown, Aptitude returned for the primary time since WrestleMania to problem Asuka, enraging Belair, who was in line for a rematch. The Aptitude-Asuka title match befell on June 30, with Belair interfering and laying each different girls out. To resolve the difficulty a triple-threat was set for SummerSlam.
World Heavyweight Championship: Seth Rollins (c) vs. Finn Bálor
Rollins gained the newly launched World Heavyweight Championship in a match last over AJ Types. Quickly thereafter Bálor started to stalk Rollins and demand a title match. There’s historical past right here as Bálor gained the inaugural Common Championship over Rollins at SummerSlam 2016, solely to should give up it the following night time on Uncooked because of an damage he suffered in the course of the match. In promos to hype this match, Bálor has regularly introduced up that chapter as his motivation for concentrating on Rollins at this 12 months’s SummerSlam.
Undisputed Common Championship: Roman Reigns (c) vs. Jey Uso
The Bloodline story involving members of the real-life Anoa’i wrestling household has been unfolding for greater than three years at this level and has by no means been hotter. Since their tag-team championship loss at WrestleMania, Reigns has bullied and belittled his cousins, inflicting the Usos to activate the “Tribal Chief” on the June 16 episode of SmackDown. In a tag-team match at Cash within the Financial institution, Jey turned the primary particular person to pin Reigns in almost three years to win the match and arrange a singles encounter for the undisputed Common Championship at SummerSlam.
Why you may belief us: We could earn fee from hyperlinks on this web page, however we solely suggest merchandise we imagine in. Pricing and availability are topic to alter.